Image Map

it's been too long

I know, I know, excuses, excuses.

Sorry for my little hiatus there.  It was completely unintentional, I don't even know how it's already Wednesday again.  Somehow, against my will, work has taken over my life.  When I'm not at work, or thinking about work, I'm trying to rest up so I can get work done . . . at work.  The sad part about all this is that I don't have some wonderful dream job.  I know I mentioned that work has been a bit hectic last time I went to the farmers market, but it's been a while since I've talked about what I do, or want to for that matter.

For me starting a blog was about taking responsibility.  I have always been terrible at self-motivation.  I got work done in school and worked very hard, the studio was my second home, but I'll admit I got the work done because I had to.  It was much easier to keep practicing art when there were critiques to complete pieces for, equipment and space to use, and a room full of peers who were educated in my practice and interested in what each other was working on.  People who you could bounce ideas off of and (unbeknownst to them) compete with.  It's something I don't like admitting and I must say am a little ashamed of, but I have not made a single print since my last class at SAIC about 2 years ago, I want to, I just haven't.  Since I went to art school, most of the people I know here in Chicago are artist, and let me tell you, that last sentence was blasphemy.  When I go out and see the kids I went to school with the fact that I have a well-paying 9-5 is nothing compared to the painting they completed last night, it's a strange world, and I chose the unpopular route.

Since graduating I have found other ways to be creative, ways that don't include an acid bath (in school I focused in etching which involves either nitric acid or ferric chloride - not something you can do in your living room).  Once I came to the realization that a cubicle wasn't going to be enough for me I needed something to keep me accountable, and that is why I started this blog.  It's a constant reminder to continue to do art.  It's amazing how quickly time can slip away from you, I swear yesterday it was still June and now we're almost in August.  When I log in and see that I haven't written anything in a whole week it's an indication that I need to take some time to focus on myself again.  This blog has been wonderful at keeping me motivated and creative.  Whenever I sit down and don't have anything to write about there is a little voice in my head that says "Well, then, do something about it.  If you made something then there would be plenty to write about."  That little voice is right, and it keeps me going.

It looks like work might settle down soon, and the Morning Man and I are going on a well deserved vacation to Portland for my Mom's Birthday in two weeks.  I think I'll be able to take my life back,

just as long as I keep listening to that little voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...