Image Map

wishful wednesdays {duvet}


One thing this Lazy Lady does best is fantasize about the future.  I'm not very good at living "in the now," I'm always thinking about the next recipe we should make, or couch we should buy, or city we'll live in, or job I could have, and where we'll be in 1, 3, 5, or 15 years.  It's not really the healthy way to live, buuuut sometimes I come up with some really great futures. . . 


Our comforter is crap.
Yeah, I said it.

The comforter we use now is The Man's. He doesn't remember where it came from, but somehow it came into his possession. In my opinion you shouldn't sleep with anything if you don't know where it came from (but ask for it's last name and where it grew up, and you're good to go *wink*wink*).  It's comfy but I don't like how it looks and as much as I wash it, it still feels dirty.

Now that we've decided to stay in this apartment for another year it's time to get back in to decorating it.  We never quite got to the bedroom, and at first it didn't matter, but I don't think I can spend one more year with dingy walls, an unorganized closet, and a strange old bedspread.

One of the first things I'd like to change is that comforter.  I've had a few ideas but it's so hard to choose, and so hard to afford (duvets are expensive!!!).  My plan is to first buy a regular ol' comforter (probably at Ikea or HomeGoods) and then buy a duvet.  Most decorative comforters are either way to expensive or really unattractive.  It will also be easier to buy the comforter with only comfort in mind, and to buy the duvet for it's looks.  I've already been lucky enough to find both looks and comfort in a man, so I'm not going to push my luck and try to find the whole package in one bedspread!

This is something I've been looking for for a while now, and a lot of the options I've found in the past don't exists anymore.  There is so much out there: Ruched and Textured, Patterned, Solid, Quilted . . . so here is what I have been looking at:

I could go with something simple like Stripes:

West Elm - Stripe Duvet Cover in Citron and Feather Gray - $69.00 for a Full/Queen
Dwell Studio - Draper Stripe in Ash - $280.00 for Full/Queen and pair of Shams. (O.O - those are my eyes poping out of my head due to that price!!)

It's Classic, It's Clean, It's won't go out of style, and it wouldn't make our bedroom impossible to decorate. All in all a nice, safe choice. Safe.

There is another way to go with pattern.  Still simple, but brighter and more whimsicle if you may.

Jonathan Adler - Hollywood in Green - $195.00 for a Full/Queen
West Elm - Organic Ironwork - $89.00 for a Full/Queen
Z Gallerie - Mimosa Reversible in Aquamarine - $149.95 for a Full/Queen.

These are more fun but they will also sway a lot of the other decisions to be made regarding the bedroom.  I wanted the one from Z Gallerie for a long time, but when I went to visit it it was so shiny!!  We actually tried buying a duvet cover last year at target, just a simple solid colored duvet.  It looked just fine in the store, a great color, a reasonable price, but when we took it home and spread it out I felt like I was in some slimy bachlorpad with satin sheets and a round bed that slowly spins while gettin-in-on-music played in the backround.  It was too Shiny!  That thing went right back to the store, and I have a feeling the Mimosa duvet would give me the same feeling.  The Jonathan Adler duvet is pretty and it also comes in a light grey.

I've thought about Ruches and Ruffles but The Man quickly vetoed any frou-frou duvets.

I would love to have a big fluffy white comforter but The Man's dirty feet vetoed that option back when we tried white sheets. Although If you don't go to bed with a woodworker everynight you should think about white and creamy colors.  It's just so dreamy.
Either rich fabrics in light colors:
source
(ignore the pictures I'm only talking about the bed here!)

Or white fluffy blankets with great POPS of color in pillows and acessories:
source
One day, when we have a guest room I'll make this dream bed come true (and then occassionally take naps in it).

I'm not a huge fan of one large image on a duvet.  It's too much of a statement for me and they're always super cheesy and girlie and some sort of plant, like a large flower.  So I wasn't even considering any of those options until I saw these Duvet and Sham sets by Thomas Paul:


AWESOME!!
Talk about your statement piece!!  I think even though I probably won't be getting any of these I still might need those whale pillows!

The final option I've been mulling over is to make my own.  Just when I decided to stop daydreaming and start thinking about this seriously a new class popped up on The Needle Shop's class list.
Patchwork Duvet!


I don't really like the sample ones that they show, and patchwork ain't really my style, but I think I could come up with something really fun.
Of course then I'd have to start picking out fabrics, and you know how long that takes me.

How about you? Is your bed already cozy and welcoming? Or have you been left with some boy's hand-me-down like me? Do you like patterns? textures? solids? Would you ever try to DIY your bedspread? Am I crazy!?

Tell me, I want to know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...