Image Map

wishful wednesdays {floor to ceiling bookshelves}


One thing this Lazy Lady does best is fantasize about the future.  I'm not very good at living "in the now," I'm always thinking about the next recipe we should make, or couch we should buy, or city we'll live in, or job I could have, and where we'll be in 1, 3, 5, or 15 years.  It's not really the healthy way to live, buuuut sometimes I come up with some really great futures. . . 


Now this is a hard one, I mean, it really all depends on what kind of space you have.  Is there room for just one small bookcase? How about a wall to dedicate to books? Or an entire room!  Do you want something funky, something sleek and modern, or something very traditional?  Right now we have a small apartment so the Man made two floating shelves and installed them over a jut-out in the office/studio off of our living room.  I've always loved the look of a wall of books, not a normal rectangle wall, but walls with strange ceiling shapes, or a door, something to make it a little more interesting and complicated.


Like this room.  They used a wall with windows and a fire place in a room with slanted ceilings.  Love it!  It makes basic built-ins unique, and decorative, instead of boring and common.


Glenn Gissler Design contemporary staircase

This is a great little book nook.  Just like that mudroom built into the space underneath the stairway I posted a couple weeks ago, this "library" creates a purposeful room in an otherwise useless space.  It's unusual and completely unique to this home. Love it!



The shelves in this room are different from most, the sections are all uniform equal squares.  What I like about built-in bookshelves that go around a doorway, is when they continue along the top of the door to connect each side.  It steps away from looking like two separate bookshelves one could buy at ikea and makes it look custom (which it obviously is).  In my opinion, if you're going to spend the money then don't go "cookie-cutter."


Contemporary Renovation Norwich VT contemporary living room

Now these shelves were built into a wall that had nothing else on, in, or around it but, they decided to break it up in another way.  Display space is a great thing to add into a book shelving.  Whether it's very specific as to where the objects will go, with open space and lighting etc. 


Or open as to where they can go.  With large shelf areas to intermingle the books and objects however you see fit.

Bookshelves are a strangely huge topic, I didn't really think about how many opinions I could possibly have on the topic until I started looking them up.  There are just so many options, for home owning and apartment renting alike.  I can't do built-ins, and maybe I'll never want to, especially with a handy furniture making boyfriend, who has ton's of great ideas.

Maybe after all of that built-in talk I'll end up wanting something more like this ...

Who knows!!
How about you? Do you already have the prefect library?  Do you like to read?  Do you like the look of built-ins or do you find them dullsville?
Tell me, I want to know!

1 comment:

  1. Ok the bedroom with the fireplace and the spiral stairwell library are totally me. The mega wall of cubby-holes and the floor to ceiling shelving look like way too much work to keep tidy. Gotta have a lotta books or... better yet, how 'bout a wall of movies - now yer talkin'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...