Image Map

surprise!

Well, it went off without a hitch!

This weekend was my dad's 60th Birthday.  That's right, the great man of STUFEST turned the big 6-0!  Over the past few months I racked my brain trying to think of the best 60th birthday present, until I finally got it.... ME!

Since March my Mom, our friend Briana, and I have been scheming and keeping secrets about the big day, and Friday night the plan was finally set in motion.

Friday I left work a little early and ran to the airport, where my plane was of course an hour off schedule. Briana picked me up when I landed around 10:30 and we headed to her house to go over the details and try to get enough rest for the big surprise the next day.

Saturday we woke up and headed to my parents' house.  Briana went in with the excuse that my mom had to show her some luggage, which may sound strange to you, but it's so completely normal, that my dad didn't suspect a thing.  She "grabbed the mail" on her way in and, along with some random junk mail my mom put in the night before, there was a birthday card from me (we even ruffed it up a bit so it looked like it had been handled by the post office).  Dad opened the card and Briana went to go get something she'd left in her car.

She came outside and got me and this is what happened next:

When it was all said and done we were all a big blubbering laughing mess. Then, like always with the people you love, everything felt like I never left.  We took showers, ate breakfast and got on with the STUFEST Festivities.  It was such a wonderful weekend, and I really wish it wasn't over.

Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you so very much.


p.s.  I was hesitant to post the video at first because it is a personal moment for our family and my dad's reaction was so heartfelt and emotional (if you couldn't distinguish it those are the combined sounds of tears and belly laughs). But when I watch this video I'm filled with so much joy, and I wanted to share that feeling with all of you. 
Sorry for getting sappy and corny, and thanks for watching!

2 comments:

  1. dearest aly, i want to turn 60 too with tears and belly laughs. your dad encouraged me to go to your blog, i cheerfully agreed and now have tears in my eyes. i hope you had a wonderful birthday. a little something is in the mail for you. love, beth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...